In 2021, world no. 3 Dominic Thiem will be hoping to represent his country in the Davis Cup by Rakuten Finals, something he couldn’t do in 2019. And the challenge could not be greater: in Group F, Austria will face Serbia and Germany – meaning a potential battle with Novak Djokovic and Alexander Zverev.
- Austria was knocked out in the 2019 Qualifiers by Chile, but in 2020, they booked their place in the Finals with a 3–1 win over Uruguay.
- Dominic Thiem was absent from both Qualifiers but has always expressed his support for the new format and will lead Austria in the Finals, as he did in the play-offs last September.
- Dennis Novak (ranked 85) is the undisputed number two in the line-up and has assumed the lead role in Thiem's absence.
- Veteran players Olivier Marach and Jurgen Melzer are the regular doubles pair, both of them specialists with a lot of Davis Cup experience – Melzer has notched up almost 80 matches for Austria!
- Austria, who have never played in the final of the competition, have been captained by former world top-20 player Stefan Koubek since 2015.