Due to a wrist injury, world No. 6 Dominic Thiem will not be representing his country in the 2021 Davis Cup by Rakuten Finals. And the challenge could not be greater for his teammates: in Group F, Austria will face Serbia and Germany.
- Austria was knocked out in the 2019 Qualifiers by Chile, but in 2020 they booked their place in the Finals with a 3–1 win over Uruguay.
- Dominic Thiem was absent from both Qualifiers but has always expressed his support for the new format.
- In Thiem's absence, Dennis Novak is likely to be the number one in the line-up for the Finals.
- Oliver Marach and Jurgen Melzer are Austria's regular doubles pairing, both of them specialists with a lot of Davis Cup experience – Melzer has notched up almost 80 matches for his country.
- Austria, who have never played in the final of the competition, have been captained by former world top-20 player Stefan Koubek since 2015.