To get to the quarter-finals, the Balkan team must get past Australia and Hungary in Group D, one of the most equal groups in the competition. They beat India in the Qualifiers 2020.
- Croatia was proclaimed winner of the Davis Cup for a second time in 2018, with Marin Cilic leading the quintet of players who defeated France, at home, in Lille.
- In the first edition of the Davis Cup by Rakuten Finals in 2019 Croatia came up against Spain and Russia in the group stage but failed to make it through to the quarter-finals.
- Former world top-3 player Marin Cilic hopes to lead the team in 2020, having been forced to miss last year in Madrid due to injury.
- In addition to Cilic, Croatia has young Borna Coric (aged 23) for the singles, the only other Croatian in the top 100 (to date, Coric is ranked 33 and Cilic 37). The team can also choose from four experienced doubles specialists: Ivan Dodig, Mate Pavic, Nikola Metkic and Franko Skugor.
- Following the departure of captain Zeljko Krajan, Skugor assumed the role of captain and player in last year's Finals. In 2020, Croatia announced a new captain: Vedran Martic.