With only four players in the world top 500 at the time and none in the top 100, Ecuador's victory in the Qualifiers against Japan once again proves that in sport there are no certainties. But now two giants await them: in the Davis Cup by Rakuten Madrid Finals they will meet Spain and RTF in Group A.
- Ecuador achieved their best Davis Cup result in 1985, reaching the quarter-finals of the competition.
- They have had less success In recent years. Ecuador failed to get into the World Group despite having played the promotion play-offs on several occasions, most recently in 2009, 2010 and 2013.
- Victory over Venezuela in September 2019 set them up for the 2020 Qualifiers, where they were drawn away to Japan.
- The last-minute withdrawal of Japan's top two players, Kei Nishikori and Yoshihito Nishioka, gave the Ecuadorians a boost, and in the most surprising result of the Qualifiers 2020 they won 3-0.
- Emilio Gómez and Roberto Quiroz are their most prominent players, while Raúl Viver has been in the captain’s seat since 1993.