Hungary is one of five teams that will debut in this year’s Davis Cup by Rakuten Finals and they promise to be a tough opponent for Croatia and Australia in the group stage. Here are five things to note about the team.
- Hungary made the most of their home advantage in the Qualifiers, pulling off a surprise win over Belgium in Debrecen.
- Hungary has only one player in the top 100: Marton Fucsovics, with Attila Balázs just outside. Both carry the weight of the team, competing not only in singles but also in doubles when needed.
- Hungary has one of the longest histories in the competition, making its debut in 1924.
- Hungary has never reached the decisive stages of the competition.
- Captain Gábor Köves represented Hungary at the Seoul 1988 Olympic Games.