With no fewer than eight players in the world top 100, Italy is currently one of the nations with the greatest potential. Will they rise to the challenge in the next edition of the Davis Cup by Rakuten Madrid Finals? The United States and Colombia await them in the group phase.
- Italy didn’t make it past the group stage in the 2019 Finals and so missed out on the quarter-finals. Then, they had to get past the USA and Canada. This year, they will meet the Americans again, who are the top seeds in their group.
- Fabio Fognini is a key player and the soul of the team. The 32-year-old is passionate about the competition and knows its significance.
- World top-10 player Mateo Berrettini, 23, has established himself among the best players in the world in a new generation that is set to take the stage in the coming years. Lorenzo Sonego (24); Gianluca Mager (25) and the very young Jannik Sinner (18) prove that a new batch of azzurri is impatient to achieve something big together.
- Italy comfortably overcame South Korea in the Qualifiers, winning 4-0 in Cagliari.
- Italy’s captain, Corrado Barazzutti, was part of the team that won the Davis Cup in 1976, the only title Italy has ever won.