They combine everything: enormous talent, youth, commitment and extensive experience. In the Davis Cup by Rakuten Madrid Finals 2019, they were semi-finalists despite the last-minute withdrawal of their number one player, Daniil Medvedev. This time, they will be aiming for the title as one of the most fearsome teams in the competition.
- Russia is pitted against Spain in Group A and the battle between the two teams to top the group and progress directly to the quarter-finals promises to be epic. They will also have to get past Ecuador.
- Russia and Spain met in the group stage in 2019. That time, Spain made it to the quarter-finals as group winners and Russia progressed as one of the two best runners-up.
- Amazing fact: Russia currently has three players in the world top 15, all aged under 24... But who is more dangerous: Daniil Medvedev (5); Andrey Rublev (14) or Karen Khachanov (15)?
- Medvedev's withdrawal from the 2019 Finals meant that Rublev and Khachanov not only played the singles matches but also paired up for the doubles. They both dazzled in their four ties – against Croatia, Spain, Serbia and Canada. The quarter-final against Serbia was electric, and ended with the elimination of Novak Djokovic and Viktor Troicki in a third-set tie-break doubles thriller.
- Captain Shamil Tarpischev has been in post since 1974 (you read that right!) and at 70 years of age is still Russia's anchor. The team has two Davis Cup titles to its name (2002 and 2006).