Following disappointment last year, Sweden made it through the Qualifiers 2020 to take their place in the Davis Cup by Rakuten Finals. They join last year’s runners-up Canada in group B, along with Kazakhstan, who lost in the group stage in 2019.
- The team has a new captain for 2020 – Roland-Garros finalist Robin Soderling. He made a brilliant debut in the Qualifiers with Sweden beating Chile in Stockholm.
- The young Ymer brothers are currently the best two players in the country. Twenty-one-year-old Mikael is the highest ranked – 68 – while Elias (23) is ranked 201 following several months recovering from injury.
- Don’t write them off! Sweden holds the record for the most comebacks from 0-2 down in five-match ties – they have done this on six occasions. So, even in the three-match format of the Finals they promise to be tough opponents.
- Sweden has a long tradition in the Davis Cup: they won their first title in 1975, and the 1980s were a period of dominance in the competition. During that decade they won the title three times and were runners-up on four occasions.
- Sweden’s Bjorn Borg has the best winning streak in the Davis Cup, stacking up a total of 33 wins between 1973 and 1980.